The Association

The Llanelli Disabled Drivers Association is an independant charity.

The independant status of our organisation has allowed us to change the long standing name of 'Disabled Drivers Llanelli Group as it was originally named to Llanelli Disabled Drivers Association. The Association was formed in 1958 when trikes were the popular method of mobility by disabled drivers. With the help of many organisations within the Llanelli area the group purchased a building in1962 in Albert Street, Llanelli, which became the headquarters and social centre for all activities of the group.

In the early days and for many years members enjoyed caravan holidays transported in their own minibus and were in the forefront when campaigning for the rights of disabled people both locally and nationally. Nearly 60 years later the results of all the dedicated campaigning can be seen in many areas of society today.

The Association continues to campaign , provide members with information and advice, and provide a range of social activities including weekly meetings at the LDDA Hall in Albert Street, with refreshments always available.

 

Whos who? Executive Committee 2016/17

John Kirkhouse - Chairman

Elizabeth Evans MBE - Deputy Chairperson

Christine Lewis - Vice President

Marian Villers - Hon Secretary

Mrs Jean Jenkins - Hon Treasurer

Cllr Hubert Hitchman - President/ Committee member

Inge Jones - Committee Member

Phyllis Allen - Committee Member

Linda O'Sullivan - Committee Member

Joan Hancock - Committee Member

We operate according to the guidelines of the Equal Opportunities Act, as per the Equality and Human Rights Commission October 2007 and the Data Protection Act 1998.

 

Our Heritage

Founder Members of the DDA In Recognition of Services to the DDA

Freddie Hearne Ivor Jones John Griffiths Leonard (Larry) Park Vivian Pughsley

Treasurer Chairman Secretary Vice President Chairman

V

Donald Phillips

Vice Chairman

The Llanelli Disabled Drivers Association began in 1948, and was known as the Llanelly Invalid Tricycle Association and became members of the National Association,with their Headquarters based in London. As the years progressed the Invalid Tricycle Association became The Disabled Drivers' Association who eventually set up their Headquarters in Ashwellthorpe Hall in Norwich. and remained as the National Association until 2005, when the merger took place with the Disabled Drivers Motor Club. Because we were affiliated, we retained our title but have now changed to Llanelli Disabled Drivers Association. In 2011 we took the decision to 'stand alone' and are not affiliated to mobilise

The Social Centre Story, as told by Founder and Past Chairman of our Association, Mr Ivor Jones is entitled "In the beginning"

Photographic Images form the Past

Past Images associated with our Association